[pfSense] pf vrs mono?

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Tue May 1 09:12:31 EDT 2012

I install pfSense all the time and configure and it just works. What kind of internet connection are you using?  If you are using a private IP address from a providers router on the WAN interface it is possible that pfSense is blocking the private ip address traffic on the WAN. This is on by default we have seen this on customers running modems, cable and DSL in non bridge mode.  If this is the case you can solve it by putting the modem in true bridge mode or by allowing private ip's accross the WAN interface. If this is not the case you must provide much more detail about your connection types and IP's to get addtional help. Also what is your pfSense install type. CF or HD?

To shut off blocking of private IP's on the WAN interface. Go to the WAN interface page and uncheck.

       	Block private networks
When set, this option blocks traffic from IP addresses that are reserved for private  networks as per RFC 1918 (10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16) as								well as loopback addresses (127/8).   You should generally leave this option turned on, unless your WAN network lies in such a private address space, too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Bryant Zimmerman (ZK Tech Inc.)
616-855-1030 Ext. 2003