[pfSense] pf vrs mono?

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Tue May 1 09:57:06 EDT 2012

On 5/1/2012 9:33 AM, Andrew @ ATMlogic.ca wrote:
> So I think your exactly on it.  In all my testing / setup the WAN would
> be getting a private (192.168/16) address.  So is block ON by default?
> (And guessing off by default in Mono?)

"Block private networks" would only block inbound connections on WAN. It
would not block outbound connections.

In a default config with a DHCP WAN, you can surf by just plugging in.
There is nothing special you need to do -- so long as your WAN and LAN
are on different subnets.

If you're using a static IP on WAN, you should use the wizard to set it,
or ensure that you added and selected a gateway via the WAN interface
config.

If you try to manually set a WAN IP and Gateway and didn't do it
properly, it could end up either without a default route or it could end
up with a default route but not properly doing outbound NAT.

Either way, "block private networks" would not impact outgoing traffic
so it's not likely related to your issue.

Jim