[pfSense] pf vrs mono?

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Tue May 1 11:05:44 EDT 2012

On 5/1/2012 10:48 AM, Andrew @ ATMlogic.ca wrote:
> Everything would be in default, my network is 192.168.0.x, WAN is setup for
> DHCP, no other config.

The default LAN in pfSense is 192.168.1.x, same as m0n0wall.

> Two identical boxes (Net4801-48) image one with m0n0 and it works, image the
> other with pf and it does not work (testing one at a time)
> Its always been this way for me since trying pf years ago.  That said I have
> not changed my firewall (other than updates) in about 8 years or more
> (running SME 7.4) perhaps that could be a part of it.

There just is not enough detail to say why it's happening. Even seeing
the output of the banner on the console menu would be more than we're
seeing here. Going on pure speculation only gets us so far.

> I will reset pf and try with a static ip (never used the wizzard) see if
> that helps.  On the m0n0 I have been able to pre-config and just drop them
> onsite and all is well???

Many people do just that with pfSense as well. The default NanoBSD
config should come up on a Soekris (with vr NICs) or ALIX and have the
LAN on vr0 and WAN on vr1. I don't know what m0n0 defaults to but I
think it's LAN=sis0 WAN=sis1, which may be what the net4801 has (I'm not
very familiar with that model, I have a net6501, most others I see are
net5501's)

Jim