[pfSense] port forwarding LAN to LAN

Moshe Katz moshe at ymkatz.net
Tue May 1 11:49:34 EDT 2012

The way we do it in my office is using Split DNS.  We have DNS servers in a
datacenter that resolve public queries for our servers and return the
public IP addresses.  We also have internal DNS (we are using a server but
you can use the pfSense's built-in DNS server) and our names point to the
private internal addresses.

For example, DNS for our web site is 71.179.xxx.xxx in our offsite DNS but
it is 192.168.xxx.xxx in our internal DNS.

This has the added benefit of taking a substantial load off of the pfSense
hardware because it doesn't have to do NAT translation between addresses on
the same side of the network.  That capacity is then available for real
incoming and outgoing connections.  We also see great speed improvements
because we have a gigabit internal network but our pfSense throughput is
closer to 100mbit.

It is a little bit more work to maintain two sets of DNS records but it
simplifies configuration and improves response times from the server.

Moshe

--
Moshe Katz
-- moshe at ymkatz.net