[pfSense] captive portal and https passthrough

David Burgess apt.get at gmail.com
Tue May 1 12:54:29 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I don't have much experience with captive portal, so I'm doing some
testing with 2.0.1 in a vm. It's a bog standard WAN-LAN setup with CP
enabled on the LAN. I don't want any authentication, I simply want to
present a small html page with links to a couple of web sites. I have
created passthrough entries for both of these sites on the CP "Allowed
Hostnames" tab.

The captive portal page is appearing for a LAN host as expected, but
the hyperlinks to these two allowed sites do not. One of these web
sites is http, and this link connects the LAN user to the target site
as expected. The other link is https://www.paypal.com, and this does
not work. When the LAN user clicks on the link the browser just times
out. I changed the link to http://www.paypal.com, but the browser
still times out, and I believe it's because paypal is redirecting to
https.

I'm sure this must have come up before, but my searching has come up
dry. Is there a workaround for this or am I doing it wrong?

db