[pfSense] pfsense gaming

Ernst den Broeder ernst at denbroeder.ca
Tue May 1 16:04:55 EDT 2012

On 5/1/2012 1:43 PM, Lazy Sod wrote:

> Looking to switch from Monowall to Pfsense for gaming reasons; I have
> one Xbox 360 and have had no luck getting the strict NAT message to
> leave when using Monowall.I have noticed that some have been
> successful in getting Pfsense to work without having a strict NAT
> message.Following the information in the forum hasn't really gotten me
> very far.Does it work, if so can you point me in the right
> direction?If I've missed something on the Mailing list let me know
> where I can find that info.Any help is appreciated.

step 1) assign a static IP to your xbox how ever you choose
step 2) under NAT/Port Forward: forward UDP/3074 to your xbox IP
step 3) under NAT/Outbound: select Manual outbound NAT rule generation
step 3a) pfSense will have created 3 auto generated rules for you -
leave these alone
step 3b) create a new rule for WAN interface, any UDP packet sourced
from your xbox IP and select "static-port" option
step 3c) move this new rule to the top of the rules (it must match first
else one of the auto generated rules will match).

-Ernst