[pfSense] pfsense hardware for a proxy, 1U w/ 12" depth

Andrew Cotter andrew.cotter at somersetcapital.com
Thu May 3 00:03:42 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Daniel Lloyd <spoonster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 2x http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-EHF-D525.cfm.
> Should fit your depth limitation, I have yet to hit performance
> problems with it and know that others on the list use this system as
> well.
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at lubik.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for hardware to replace an ASA unit that only allows 5
>> concurrent VPN connections for road warrior by a pfsense unit.  However, I
>> need to have a proxy on the server to have reports or logs on who does what
>> on the internet, so I need a hard drive.  Also, the physical space that I
>> have for this unit is 1U and about 12" of depth.
>>
>> I thought about soekris units, but anyone else has another idea?  The other
>> needs are quite simple, not that many internal users, no other VPN tunnels.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ugo

We have used the Supermicro SYS-5015A-EHF-D525.  Only issue we have
run into is on early versions of their Atom boards.  The board was
slightly different in dimension and layout and would not allow for
proper alignment of a PCI card (using the riser) with the slot in the
case.  Supermicro seems to have addressed that issue with the latest
board layouts.  Performance and stability have been good.

Andrew