[pfSense] Anyone here used Netgate hardware for home use?

Oliver Hansen oliver.hansen at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:53:52 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM, justino garcia <jgarciaitlist at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyone here used the Netgate m1n1wall 2D3 / 2D13 Blue?
> Does this unit run the full version of PFSense, and is 256 MB for a home
> office deployment enough?
> Do I need third nic, and separate my WLAN and lan, and then just have
> vlans for each network and a secure tunnel bettween lan and wlan?
>

> --
> Justin
> IT-TECH
>

> I haven't used these for home but I have used them at several small office
locations. It runs the embedded version of pfSense which doesn't work with
some packages so you'd want to check that out. 256MB of RAM should be fine
unless you have a lot of devices in that home office. As I understand it in
a default configuration RAM mostly affects how many states you can have
open. Separating your WLAN and VLANs is all up to you. If you have a VLAN
capable switch then you probably only need two interfaces and just trunk
from pfSense to the switch. It's up to you.

Oliver