[pfSense] Hyphens in aliases

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Wed May 9 12:47:00 EDT 2012

On 2012-05-09 10:54, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> On 2012-05-09 10:51, Jim Pingle wrote:
>> On 5/9/2012 10:42 AM, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>>> Is there a reason why hyphens are not allowed in aliases names?
>>
>> Aliases have to be valid pf macro/table keywords, iirc hypens are not
>> allowed there.
>>
>> From pf.conf(5)
>> MACROS
>> Macros can be defined that will later be expanded in context. Macro
>> names must start with a letter, and may contain letters, digits and
>> underscores. Macro names may not be reserved words (for example pass,
>> in, out). Macros are not expanded inside quotes.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Excellent, thanks,
>
> Ugo

There is a small bug in the alias:edit page.  Underneath the "Name" box,
it says "The name of the alias may only consist of the characters "a-z,
A-Z and 0-9".", while the underscore is accepted.  The error message
that is displayed when we enter an invalid character is OK though:

The alias name must be less than 32 characters long and may only consist
of the characters a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _.