[pfSense] pfsense on sun v100 server

Hugo Heykers hugo.heykers at telenet.be
Thu May 10 15:15:18 EDT 2012

Op 10-05-12 19:14, Adam Thompson schreef:

> The UltraSparc II family of CPUs does not have any support for
> virtualization, and would not run intel-style machine code even if it did.
>
> You will be limited to running pfSense inside a software CPU emulator
> like BOCHS, which means you'll be running pfSense on the equivalent of
> a 50MHz (original) Pentium, if that... UltraSparcs don't run emulation
> code very efficiently.
>
> If your primary goal is to keep power management low, switch to an
> Intel ATOM-based platform: those can run for under 10W of power.
>
> Otherwise, if you **must** use a SunFire V100 as your firewall, I
> would suggest installing OpenBSD, which both a) is the original source
> of the "pf" packet filtering engine that pfSense uses, and b) runs
> natively on a SunFire V100.
>
> Oh, and there's a third option: install a "SunPCi" card in your
> server, which puts an entire x86-compatible PC onto a PCI card.  You'd
> have to use VLANs, as the SunPCi card only has a single on-board
> Ethernet port and the "pass-through ethernet" feature tends to panic
> the Solaris kernel.  Speaking as the owner of several SunPCi cards, I
> don't recommend this option!
>
> -Adam Thompson
>
> athompso at athompso.net

THANKS al LOT Adam for your information.
I was not aware of the fact the OpenBSD runs natively on Sun Server with
SPARC architecture.
It's because i bought the V100 few months ago, so that's why i would
like to integrate it,...and with OpenBSD - of -course- are quite a few
possibilities.
Thanks again!!

--
Hugo Heykers