[pfSense] pfsense on sun v100 server

Scott Ullrich sullrich at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:28:28 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Michael Schuh <michael.schuh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi at list
>
> i am not sure if somebody else mentioned that before:
>
> ...may be a different approach to get pfsense running on UltraSparc:
> get the developer version/sources, put it on a FreeBSD 8.x ( iirc 8.2)
> and try to cross-compile the entire architectire to UltraSparc.
> At the best point you have a Ulstrasparc running with FreeBSD, where you can
> put the sources on it, so no need to cross-compile.
>
> The SunFire V100 Hardware is fully supported according to the HW-Notes of
> FreeBSD8.2.
>
> I am just not really sure what packages/functionality isn't supported on
> Ultrasparc in compare to i386/amd64.
>
> So that would be my first try,
> i think thats the easiest way

While I applaud everyone for trying to go this route I have some
experiences I would like to share.

Building pfSense and all of it's dependencies on a slower speed box
will take a long time.

For example when I was working on the MIPS port that we never where
able to complete came down to time.   Building ports and the base
system on a 150 mhz box is SLLLLOW!   You will kick off a build and
come back 10 hours later to see silly platform specific C bugs that
you will have to tackle in many cases.  It's not necessarily FreeBSD's
fault but our 'additional patches' that we maintain to keep pfSense as
awesome as it is now.

I really don't want to discourage anyone from helping us port to
different platforms but I wanted to try and convey how much time is
involved in such a endeavor.  Just make sure you know what you are
getting into.

Will be happy to answer any questions if you are serious about this
platform but if I where in your shoes I would install OpenBSD 5.1 on
the 100 and use it and consider getting an alix or soekris down the
road to run pfSense.   It will ultimately save you a lot of time and
money from a power usage perspective.

Scott