[pfSense] pfsense on sun v100 server

Hugo Heykers hugo.heykers at telenet.be
Sat May 12 13:54:13 EDT 2012

Op 11-05-12 19:37, Michael Schuh schreef:

> 2012/5/11 Scott Ullrich <sullrich at gmail.com <mailto:sullrich at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Michael Schuh
>     <michael.schuh at gmail.com <mailto:michael.schuh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > Hi at list
>     >
>     > i am not sure if somebody else mentioned that before:
>     >
>     > ...may be a different approach to get pfsense running on UltraSparc:
>     > get the developer version/sources, put it on a FreeBSD 8.x (
>     iirc 8.2)
>     > and try to cross-compile the entire architectire to UltraSparc.
>     > At the best point you have a Ulstrasparc running with FreeBSD,
>     where you can
>     > put the sources on it, so no need to cross-compile.
>     >
>     > The SunFire V100 Hardware is fully supported according to the
>     HW-Notes of
>     > FreeBSD8.2.
>     >
>     > I am just not really sure what packages/functionality isn't
>     supported on
>     > Ultrasparc in compare to i386/amd64.
>     >
>     > So that would be my first try,
>     > i think thats the easiest way
>
>     While I applaud everyone for trying to go this route I have some
>     experiences I would like to share.
>
>     Building pfSense and all of it's dependencies on a slower speed box
>     will take a long time.
>
>     For example when I was working on the MIPS port that we never where
>     able to complete came down to time.   Building ports and the base
>     system on a 150 mhz box is SLLLLOW!   You will kick off a build and
>     come back 10 hours later to see silly platform specific C bugs that
>     you will have to tackle in many cases.  It's not necessarily FreeBSD's
>     fault but our 'additional patches' that we maintain to keep pfSense as
>     awesome as it is now.
>
>     I really don't want to discourage anyone from helping us port to
>     different platforms but I wanted to try and convey how much time is
>     involved in such a endeavor.  Just make sure you know what you are
>     getting into.
>
>     Will be happy to answer any questions if you are serious about this
>     platform but if I where in your shoes I would install OpenBSD 5.1 on
>     the 100 and use it and consider getting an alix or soekris down the
>     road to run pfSense.   It will ultimately save you a lot of time and
>     money from a power usage perspective.
>
>     Scott
>

> Hi Scott,
> Hi@ List,
>
> LAMO - SCNR :8~)
>
> The Question was:
>  ...is it possible....
> not:
> ... makes that sense ...
> ... is that a good idea ...
>
> Yes i agree with that, totally.
> [...]
@Michael:
Your logical thinking makes sense, when one thinks in terms of money, it
for sure will not pay off.
On the otherhand, i would like to acquire some experience with this
stuff.  Making expenses right now does not fit in my budget.
If i read how most of you on this site are acquinted with IT-items like
this, then i feel VERY small compared to you.
Why i wanna do this... I attend -through evening school- IT-course, my
fourth year (i am 51yrs), and next year hopefully will complete the
whole course.
Next year -the last module- i have to make a project, for which i choose
to make a 'complete' homenetwork, with our own domain internal and
external, home automation(which i would like to program on my own
included the hardware), but most of all importance is a good "safetiness
and security".
That is the main reason for why i wanna try it in this way.

Thx to all who already and still will (hopefully) respond to my question
=>that is were i get my inspiration from also!!

--
Hugo Heykers
Jozef Stormsstraat 10