[pfSense] HA and ifstated

Michael Schuh michael.schuh at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:45:33 EDT 2012

2012/5/14 Ermal Luçi <eri at pfsense.org>

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Vick Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:
> > Isn't this automatic with CARP?
> >

> Normally in pfSense yes.
> The guys coming from cmd line still want to do things their way even
> though the system they installed is suposed to solve for them the
> headaches :)
>
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Pedro Serotto <pedro.serotto at yahoo.es>
> wrote:
> >> With ifstated I can catch the fault and demote the carp interface to
> guarantee the service continuity.
> >>
> >> How can I do that in pfsense ?

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Configuring_pfSense_Hardware_Redundancy_(CARP)

and

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+carp+works

from first hit:
By combining the features of CARP and pfsync, a group of two or more
firewalls can be used to create a highly-available, fully redundant
firewall cluster.CARP:Handles the automatic failover of one firewall to
another.pfsync:Synchronizes the state table amongst all the firewalls. In
the event of a failover, traffic can flow uninterrupted through the new
master firewall.

ifstated comes into the game if you have to manage application reloads/up's
and downs
based at the state of a NIC/Interface...

AFAIK The IP-Take over on the NIC itself is managed automagically by carp.
Its built-in funtionality of that protocol.
Applications like mysql, lighttpd, apache, cyrus, just to name few, need to
know that there is now another IP-Address
where they have to listen too...so you can tell them about with ifstated.
it are mostly a bit more complex jobs to do triggerefd by ifstated, this is
just a simple example

hth

greetings

m.

--
= = =  http://michael-schuh.net/  = = =
Projektmanagement - IT-Consulting - Professional Services IT

= = =  Ust-ID:  DE251072318  = = =